Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Age Group: Young Adult
Category: Dystopian
Release date: April 25th, 2011
Pages: 487 (ARC)
Rating: 5 out of 5
Source: Won
Goodreads | Amazon | Author

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. 

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

I'm a little ashamed to admit that I let this book sit on my shelves for years before picking it up.  When Divergent first came out, there was so much hype surrounding the story.  Everyone loved it, everyone fangirled over Four.  I added it to my TBR pile, just like The Hunger Games, The Immortal Instruments and other series that I often heard about but never intended to pick up immediately.  I'm ashamed because Divergent is an incredible story.  One of the best I've read in a long time.  It completely restored my passion for reading and pulled me out of the slump I'd been in for over a year.

Although she doesn't seem to be at first, Tris proves to be a strong and inspirational character.  There was nothing that I didn't like about her.  She was very caring and loyal, but when it came to standing up for herself against others, she truly was Dauntless.  The author didn't rush anything, from the main character's personal growth to the romance she develops with one of the faction's most valuable members, although the story was very fast-paced and packed full of action.

The way this version of Chicago was described only reeled me in more.  Having visited the city on multiple occasions, I could picture it perfectly.  Though I tend to lean towards stories that rely heavily on romance, the relationship between Tris and Four wasn't the main focal point.  I felt that the author gave readers a wonderful balance of romance, dedication towards family and friends, and being able to survive.  The message is very clear, and that's in order to be brave, you must also be selfless.  No one should ever be tossed into one category.

I was so captivated by the world that Veronica Roth created.  A world where everyone has their place, where you must leave your old life behind if you choose a different faction than the one you were born into.  I loved some characters and I despised a few, too.  Even days after finishing the book, the story is still on my mind.  Thankfully, I already own a copy of Insurgent, so it won't be long until I'm picking that up.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this one. Great review. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you liked it so much! I haven't ever been to Chicago so I could only imagine how it looked XD Nice review though, I love how your website looks! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only live about two hours from Chicago, but the last time I went there was about a decade ago. Still remembered Navy Pier, which might by why I enjoyed that scene so much! :P Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete